Hack Memory System Explanation Confusion

Hack Memory System Explanation Confusion

rad4rman
I don’t understand the following sentence in chapter 4 on page 66 (2nd edition): "Thus the maximum addressable size of each memory unit is 215 or 32K 16-bit words." 215 what? If someone could explain this to me differently that would be greatly appreciated.

Here’s the full section for context: "Memory: As seen in figure 4.2, the Hack platform uses two distinct memory units: a data memory and an instruction memory. The data memory stores the binary values that programs manipulate. The instruction memory stores the program’s instructions, also represented as binary values. Both memories are 16-bit wide, and each has a 15-bit address space. Thus the maximum addressable size of each memory unit is 215 or 32K 16-bit words (the symbol K, abbreviated from kilo—the Greek word for thousand—is commonly used to stand for the number ). It is convenient to think about each memory unit as a linear sequence of addressable memory registers, with addresses ranging from 0 to 32K–1."

Thanks.

Re: Hack Memory System Explanation Confusion

WBahn
Administrator
It's not two hundred fifteen, it's two raised to the fifteen power.

Re: Hack Memory System Explanation Confusion

rad4rman
Thanks mate! I wonder if that’s a typo in the book or a bug in the Kindle app. Either way, if I were better at maths, I would've registered the intent of the text and not be stuck thinking I'd misunderstood some earlier concept. More Brilliant.org for me!

Re: Hack Memory System Explanation Confusion

rad4rman
Damn, now this whole thing looks like a Brilliant ad