I built the Hack computer on breadboards

I built the Hack computer on breadboards

Tomer_Kronik
This post was updated on .
Hi all,
After finishing the nand2tetris course 2.5 years ago, I decided to build the Hack computer using real hardware. I mostly used 74 series Logic ICs for that. I needed to make little modification for the CPU itself to use RAM with a single data bus (in/out).

I designed the VGA and keyboard controller, and a memory controller as well to allow CPU and IO to access the RAM.

Documentation link: https://hackaday.io/project/185131-the-hack-computer-from-nand2tetris-on-breadboards
Video link: https://youtu.be/L-azf9ecvfo

Tomer Kronik

Re: I built the Hack computer on breadboards

AndyPro720
This is pretty insane man. Kudos!
If you haven't already, have a look at Ben Eater's breadboards computers and GPUs. You'll have a ton of fun.

On a side note, I would love to know how you went about implementing the whole thing on hardware. All details are appreciated!  xD

Cheers
Angaj

Re: I built the Hack computer on breadboards

Tomer_Kronik
Thank you :)
I plan to share next week more info on this project. I will upload some explanations, pictures and schematics :)

Re: I built the Hack computer on breadboards

WBahn
Administrator
Beautiful workmanship! That thing better end up mounted on a wall someday.

Am very interested in the peripherals you designed for the keyboard and VGA controller.

Don't forget to tag me xD