Thank you for all the help!

parkoo
Hi everyone,

I just finished working through the second edition of The Elements of Computing. Wow, what a journey! The questions and answers on this forum from the last decade were an enormous help; I couldn't have done it without you, particularly Mark Armbrust/cadet1620, who is sorely missed. Thanks also to Noam Nisan and Shimon Schocken for their incredible course.

For those curious, a bit about me: I'm self-taught and new to programming and computer science, but I've always been a computer enthusiast. Before working through this book, I worked through Kernighan and Ritchie's textbook The C Programming language. Therefore, I did the programming projects for nand2tetris in C. I learned a lot about C programming, but I spent most of my time chasing segmentation faults. Next time, I'd do it in Python.

There's still "more fun to go," as the book says. For example, my version of the OS runs but isn't nearly as quick as the version provided by the authors, and my compiler/translator/assembler suite needs a lot of polish. But if you had told me six months ago that I was going to complete this incredible project, I would have laughed in your face.

I think that finishing the book for the first time is just the beginning: there's so much more to learn and do with the Hack platform and beyond. I look forward to the continuing journey!

Thank you all,

Preston

Re: Thank you for all the help!

ivant
Congratulations on completing this amazing project.