AP CS Teacher

Tyfort
This book just blew me away.  I am a high school AP computer science teacher.  Typically, I was chosen from the mathematics department to do this because as a teenager I knew how to program a TRS-80 and an ATARI 800.  Since then, I've been working hard on my credentials.

For the last two years, I have snuck two books into my curriculum.  Ones and Zeros: An Introduction to Boolean Algebra, Digital Circuits and the Logic of Sets by John Gregg and The Definitive Guide to How Computers Do Math: Introducing the DIY Calculator by Clive Maxfield.  I've gotten away with about a month of these two although I must say I don't know how many years I can keep rushing through "Grid World".

I have just finished all the circuits up to Chapter 3 and I am simply amazed at how smart it made me feel.  It is such a wonderful decision to keep these solutions off the net.  I haven't had my brain sweat this hard in a long time.  The text takes you right to the edge of the forest and then you must start chopping trees yourself!  My only regret is that most of my students are sophomores who have never had any computer science at all.  It shouldn't also be a surprise to anyone that I have precious little time to treat these non AP curriculum subjects.  Regardless, I hope to add at least some of these projects into my curriculum.

Right now, I don't have time to create an elective course for my school.  This and the perennial problem that I just don't have enough interested students is slightly depressing.

However,   THANK YOU Professors Shocken and Nisan.  I love this book even though I'm only in Chapter 4.  I've told my wife that I am moving slowly because I am relishing each day that I know there is something more.  It's like an extended Christmas present.

Raymond Kotty
Fenwick High School
Oak Park, IL

Re: AP CS Teacher

ybakos
Hi Raymond,
I'm so glad you're experiencing the book and work the way you have.

One popular approach for sharing the material with younger students that lack programming experience is to focus only on the hardware half of the book. I've used TECS with "gifted" middle-school children and, as a whole, they were able to handle all the hardware projects without any issues. When you get to the Hack Assembly chapter (before creating the CPU and Computer), you can work these out by hand rather than writing an assembler.

Also, familiarize yourself with CODE by Petzold; another good book to sneak into your curriculum, and it complements TECS incredibly well.