Add4.hdl Assistance

Eat_Whatever
Hi,

I'm trying to implement the 4-bit adder for project 2, and I'm using 1 half adder and 3 full adders, I'm new to adders, and I was wondering if I am heading into the right direction so far?

Re: Add4.hdl Assistance

Eat_Whatever wrote
Hi,

I'm trying to implement the 4-bit adder for project 2, and I'm using 1 half adder and 3 full adders, I'm new to adders, and I was wondering if I am heading into the right direction so far?
Sounds good.  Just keep adding full adders until you get to 16-bits.  8-)

Re: Add4.hdl Assistance

Eat_Whatever
Ah thanks. But why to 16-bit? If I'm only implementing the 4-bit adder.

Re: Add4.hdl Assistance

The adder in project 2 is Add16.hdl which adds 2 16-bit numbers.

Are you still thinking about the 4-bit examples form the "background" introductory section?

Re: Add4.hdl Assistance

Eat_Whatever
Oh yes, I got that to work when I ran the script, however, I'm still having trouble with the Add4.hdl which my instructor decided to add into the project, which adds two 4-bit number, but whenever I implemented using the 1 half adder and 3 full adders, it runs the test script but fails after hitting the last line. I'm not sure what to do...

Re: Add4.hdl Assistance

Does your instructor's Add4 have a carry input and output? If it is intended as a building block for Add16 that is likely the case.  If so, think about how you need to handle the carry in.

--Mark