Am i ready for this course?

Andy
Hi, my name is Andy and i'm just wondering if i will be ok to tackle this course.

I've enrolled in the cs6.00x class on Edx which teaches Python. I am progressing well and have covered implementation of classes recently.

I would like to know from people who know the course and perhaps those who have tackled the problems in it where python or over language is needed if this would be a good place for me to further my curiosity.

Basically i'm wondering how good at python or other language must one be?

Thanks

Re: Am i ready for this course?

Come and be welcome. This should be a good course for you, and Python is a good language to use for the software portions of the course.

Learning the basics of computer hardware will serve you well. I, and others on this forum, will be glad to help you through the course.

Re: Am i ready for this course?

Go for it!

Re: Am i ready for this course?

JavaJack
The one vital thing you will need to know outside of the usual if/while statements is how to open and read files. Might brush up on this before starting.

Re: Am i ready for this course?

JavaJack wrote
The one vital thing you will need to know outside of the usual if/while statements is how to open and read files. Might brush up on this before starting.
I still say jump right in and get started on the hardware chapters. Assuming you are going to write your software tools in Python, if you haven't yet learned how to do Python file I/O by the time you get to chapter 6 we can deal with it then.

What kind of computer do you have?

Re: Am i ready for this course?

AndyGeo
This post was updated on .
Thanks for the encouragement!

I've been busy still with the homework for the edx course. I'm fairly confident with how to use classes which the past few weeks have covered. It lasts for a few more weeks yet with 2 more exams to go and then I will begin this course.

I think i know how to open and read files although we havn't had to do much of that but it seemed simple enough.

One thing on my mind is how will the computer we are making be able to understand the python code?

And in reply to Mark i've got a intel i5 2.6 ghz computer with 4gb ram running Windows 7 64-bit version i believe. I built it myself for gaming so it's still quite powerfull :)

Re: Am i ready for this course?

The Python code you write will run on your PC. Your assembler will translate Hack Assembly Language contained in a file on your PC into a binary file stored on your PC. The Hack CPU Emulator will load these binary files and execute them. Your compiler and VM translator work the same way, reading and writing files on your PC.

--Mark