CPU Emulator Errors

GregT
I have noticed the Hardware Simulator crashes regularly with a big string of Java errors, but if I restart it always fixes itself,so no big deal.

Not so the CPU Emulator. It crashes constantly, never at the same spot, and it is fatal. Here is the start of the stack trace, which is always similar:

Exception in thread "Thread-30" java.lang.ClassCastException: sun.java2d.NullSurfaceData cannot be cast to sun.java2d.d3d.D3DSurfaceData

I spotted a post from 2009 referring to this error but there was no advice or resolution. I am using JRE 1.6.0_21-b07 under XP.

I must say, no offense, but the quality of the software seems at odds with the quality of the book (which is absolutely outstanding). Anyway, any advice appreciated!

Re: CPU Emulator Errors

I'm running
    Windows XP Home Edition Version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.111025-1629 : Service Pack 3)
with
    java version "1.6.0_31"
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode, sharing)

on a fairly old Celeron based system.  I've been using the TECS tools on this system for a couple of years without problems.  I have automatic Windows and Java updates enabled on this system.

My work laptop is has an Intel Core2 Duo running
Windows XP Professional Version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.111025-1629 : Service Pack 3)
with
    java version "1.6.0_29"
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.4-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

Sometimes I see screen painting issues that appear to be related to threads running on separate cores; they go away if I force java to run on a single core.

I'm not a Java programmer, but it looks like your crash is a null pointer problem in Java's display code which may be related to the multi-processor issue I was seeing.

Re: CPU Emulator Errors

GregT
Thanks for the reply. I have no idea how you could influence the multic-core behaviour of Java, but I will try installing the most recent JRE. Thanks for the reply.

Re: CPU Emulator Errors

matrix1369