DMux16 for ALU?

Killboy
I'm working on the ALU and my guess is that I'm making things more complicated than they need to be .. does it make sense to have a DMux16 to switch between alternate paths?

thanks

E.g.
          Sel
           |------------------|
in---[Dmux16]---- path_1 ----[Mux16]--- out
             \--- path_2 ---/

Re: DMux16 for ALU?

Killboy wrote
I'm working on the ALU and my guess is that I'm making things more complicated than they need to be .. does it make sense to have a DMux16 to switch between alternate paths?

thanks

E.g.
          Sel
in---[Dmux16]---- path_1 ----[Mux16]--- out
             \--- path_2 ---/
The Mux16 doesn't care what the value is at its unselected input, so you can directly connect in to both path 1 and path 2.

Since both paths are computed at the same time by the hardware, it doesn't slow things down. In fact, the Demux would add additional delay.

Re: DMux16 for ALU?

Killboy
It was more about using the Dmux like a switch .. meaning that path_1 could pass 'in' through unchanged and path_2 could perform a Not or some other modification. The Mux was just so I only had one path attached to 'out'

Ah, I see what you're saying, perform the changes anyway then select between them