Debugging HDL code

culchie
When writing the HDL code for a chip in notepad it's quite easy to make errors that would be picked
up if coding in an IDE.
When you later load the chip into the hardware simulator it will generate error(s)
and some info is given in the status bar. In my experience this info is not as helpful
as I would like. In particular the line numbering, I think, is 'broken' and is almost useless
at helping to locate errors. YMMV.
I adopted this routine when writing a chip (using a windows machine) to reduce the time spent debugging
syntax errors in my HDL code.
1: Open the chip in notepad, size the notepad window only as big as is necessary.
2: open the same file in the hardware simulator. maximize this window The first time you'll need to use
the 'Load chip' dialog window to find the file. Leave the hardware simulator open
in the background
3: Return to the notepad file and write a line of hdl code
4: Save it (ctrl-s).
5: If your notepad window isn't too big chances are you can see the Hardware simulator.
6: Click on the 'Load Chip' icon on the toolbar and hit return
    The hardware simulator defaults to opens the previously opened file and right away
    you can see if there are any syntax errors in your latest line of code.