External Text Editor

gregoglover@mindspring.com
I am trying to start on Project 01 but unless I am overlooking something in the reading I do not know where to edit the supplied HDL files to create a chip implementation. Am I overlooking something key in Appendix A or in Chapter 1? Where is the external text editor mentioned in the hardware simulator tutorial ppt slide 11?

Re: External Text Editor

The text editor is not supplied.

Some good text editors are:
    Sublime Text for Windows, Mac and Linux (free to evaluate),
    Notepad++ for Windows (free).

You can also use the built-in editors, WordPad on Windows and Text Edit on Mac.

In all cases, make sure that you save the files in ASCII/ANSI encoding, not Unicode.

Re: External Text Editor

David Klausa
Seems unwieldy to have to open it in a text editor, edit it, then move it back. I don't see why you can't just edit right there.

Re: External Text Editor

ivant
Creating a good text editor is hard. It's even harder if it's for programming. Also many people have their preferences (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war), so my guess is, that it was deemed a relatively minor inconvenience by the authors.

Another way to look at it is this: you're creating a 1980s-era computer. Might as well see how the programmers worked before the IDEs.