Hardware Sim Error: No such built-in chip used: DRegister

Hardware Sim Error: No such built-in chip used: DRegister

Jeff George
I've got what I hope is a version of the CPU that will be at least testable, but when I run the CPU.tst script, it chokes right as it begins. The error it throws is: No such built-in chip used: DRegister. Here's a screenshot to show just how early the error is occurring:

No such built-in chip used: DRegister

I haven't knowingly messed with my built-in chips, nor have I created any files named "DRegister" elsewhere to interfere with the simulator. Both DRegister.hdl and DRegister.class are present in the built-ins directory and should be untampered-with.

When I look in the .hdl file, it looks just like any .hdl file for a built-in chip; when I open the .class file, it has much the same (but not exactly the same) indecipherable gobbledygook as I see in ARegister.class.

Until I can get the simulator past this error, I'm dead in the water. Any help would be much appreciated.

--Jeff

Re: Hardware Sim Error: No such built-in chip used: DRegister

DRegister and ARegister are versions of Register with special debugging features. You need to use them in place of Register in your CPU.

Alternatively, you can use the CPU-external.tst test which doesn't use the special features of DRegister and ARegister.

Re: Hardware Sim Error: No such built-in chip used: DRegister

Jeff George
Ah, that explains it. Thanks. Now that you remind me, I vaguely remember reading something about that in my first read of the chapter, before I did the Memory. I think that at the time, I pushed aside that instruction because I was focused on the Memory first, then forgot about it by the time I started the CPU.