Help picking programming language

Malco
I've been doing the first chapters of the book and so far it has gone quite smoothly. I'm still on the hardware part, but if I keep progressing at current pace, soon it will come the second part of the book.

I haven't decided which language I should use. I have a bit experience in quite a few programming languages but I wold probably prefer to use one I'm not so fluent in, because it's fun.
I'm tempted to use javascript or maybe trying out scala, but I have doubts concerning the requirements of the language to be used.

I'm expecting that at some time I'll have to implement screen output. How is this achieved? Must my language be able to emulate a computer screen? This would require a language with 2d bitmap drawing capabilities. If I pick javascript for example, I don't know of any js library that does that.

Re: Help picking programming language

The programs that you will be writing will all be command line programs.  They will process command line arguments that specify the files and/or directories that will be processed. and the output will be output to other files.  You might want to print error messages to the command line console.

I chose to write my programs in Python, and a few weeks ago I rewrote my assembler in Ruby, since I had never written any Ruby.

I applaud your idea to try out a new language.

--Mark