How about a test for the 'Call' VM command...?

Dan

How about a test for the 'Call' VM command...?

Dan
Hey,

I find the explanation of 'call f n' to be a little bit ambiguous. The description of how exactly we're to implement the bootstrap code is kind of unclear, as well.

Unfortunately, you've bundled both into a single test. As a result, I haven't a clue whether the problem in my VM translator is due to my 'call' translation being wrong (again, your explanation and notation are a bit ambiguous) or due to my not really understanding the instructions for the bootstrap code.

I understand that all of this is intrinsic to explaining something as abstract as a VM implementation of things we haven't yet looked at, but it would be EXTREMELY helpful for us to have some confirmation that each element of our translator is correct. It would be very difficult for me to write a test script for 'call f n' without fully understanding it (which I'm not sure I do).

Maybe this was a conscious choice on your parts. I'm truly not sure.

Anyway...just a suggestion. Hopefully I'll figure this out.

Re: How about a test for the 'Call' VM command...?

Register as a forum member and send me a message using More|Reply to Author.  I'll send you a bootstrap only test I just wrote.  Once we get any kinks worked out I'll post the test to the forum.

--Mark