How to Use Jack Compiler

bagajr
I know there are other topics about this, but none of them are quite what I need. Of course, clicking JackCompiler doesn't do anything. So how do I use it and how do I set the target directory? I see that it has something to do with command line, but I don't even remotely know where to begin. I've read the whole chapter and everything the book had to say about it, but it never explains how to use it if I'm not mistaken. (I use Windows 10 if it matters)

Re: How to Use Jack Compiler

I'm on the road and don't have immediate access to a Win10 machine so this info's from searching on the web.

Editing the PATH variable to add your nand2tetris\tools directory:
  o  Use search (hourglass lower left on desktop if you don't already have "search the web and windows" visible) and type in "environment".
  o  Select "Edit the system environment variables"
  o  Hit "Environment Variables" button
  o  Find "PATH" (case insensitive) in the System variables list; you may need to scroll the list.
  o  Select it, hit Edit... button, and add the full path to your nand2tetris\tools directory to the end of the path.

You can see an example of this in this video about setting the PATH variable for Java
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1VxWWubxFo

If you are starting from zero with the command prompt, here's how to open it in Windows 10
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyiGZW0fTxk

--Mark