I made it through...

Dan

I made it through...

Dan
I couldn't help but notice that the chapter numbers and # of posts per chapter on this forum have a strong negative correlation.

And that's not because the chapters got easier (to understate the point). I wanted to make sure you guys knew, though, that some people actually do make it through this book.

--

My friend and I began this journey, many, many months ago--with no real programming knowledge or experience. The projects in this book were (by far), the largest projects we've ever worked on and were basically our introduction to computing. We made it through only because each had the other. And even then, through the most heroic of efforts.

I wanted to thank you guys for the book. I've never worked harder on anything. I've never been challenge, to this degree.

I'm sure that sounds silly to the seasoned computer scientists and programmers, but I truly mean it, and had the book not been worth doing, I never, ever would've gone through this. It felt like it took absolutely forever to work through this book, but given what I now feel capable of doing with a computer, I realize how silly that was.

Again, to the authors: Thanks again.

To anyone else thinking about taking this journey: It's a major one, and you'll be profoundly changed, but it's well worth the effort.

Re: I made it through...

ybakos
Dan wrote
I'm sure that sounds silly to the seasoned computer scientists and programmers
Not silly at all!

Glad to hear you made it through all the material and I'm sure you've learned a ton. The TECS material was a huge eye-opener for myself as well.

Re: I made it through...

Shimon Schocken
Dear Dan: Indeed you've made it, big time. Thx much for the warm words and for sharing your feelings about the challenging journey. We developed this course precisely for people like you -- people who are willing to work hard and at the end, feel transformed and empowered. Best of luck in the road ahead, you now have what it takes to ascend some real tough peaks! -- Shimon

Re: I made it through...

Dan,

Let me also congratulate you on a job well done.  I'm very impressed by self learners who have discovered TECS and have worked their way all the way through.

I encourage you to keep an eye on the forum, as some past students have.  Sometimes past students have a better perspective to answer current students questions than we professionals and instructors do.

--Mark
Dan

Re: I made it through...

Dan
Absolutely. I'll make every effort to check in, now and then, to see if I can help anyone.