Implementing an ALU chip

Sparky
i just wanted to know how do i start with the implementation of the ALU chip...im unable to find out how to implement a zero-ing idea..can i build a 16-bit subtractor to "zero" the bits of the input????and also to implement the control bits of ALU..so please help me with this....

Re: Implementing an ALU chip

Sparky
please please help me on this...im unable to figure out how to start the implementation...

Re: Implementing an ALU chip

ybakos
I recommend that you start with my ALU worksheet. It's designed to help you "discover" the ALU.

http://questions-and-answers-forum.32033.n3.nabble.com/ALU-Worksheet-td95834.html

Re: Implementing an ALU chip

I second the recommendation of ybakos's worksheet.

The other thing I recommend is carefully rereading the section on buses in Appendix A.  You've learned how to use full width buses in building the wide multi-way muxes and demuxes (or you did an awful lot of extra typing!) Rereading this section now that you know in general the way buses work, should let you pick up some useful subtleties.

Now, armed with your new insight, think about all the chips you made in chapter 1 that use buses for I/O and how you might be able to use them in the various stages of the ALU.

Re: Implementing an ALU chip

Sparky
i started with the ALU worksheet and i have also manually done the computations and finished with whatever was specified in the worksheet(i.e., the binary values and decimal values for the out outputs)....now how should i proceed further sir???