Logisim Implementation

pawdwanlearner
Ive been wanting to commit Hack to actual hardware since day 1 so here is my first step. If you feel it give too much away delete it, But this is my logisim implementation.

Re: Logisim Implementation

ivant
You can try Digital as well. It's similar to logisim, but can run simulations faster and can export to VHDL.

Re: Logisim Implementation

pawdwanlearner
Cool thanks for the tip. I was going to try logisim evolution as well.

Re: Logisim Implementation

pawdwanlearner wrote
Cool thanks for the tip. I was going to try logisim evolution as well.
I had some problems with Logisim Evolution a few years ago when I tried it.

In particular, they changed the outlines, pinouts and properties for some
of the built in parts.  At that time they were not able to detect that they
were reading an original .circ file and not one of theirs.  I suggested
that they should add a version number to their format so they could
sensibly manage original files, but I never checked back.

That said, if you don't have a large investment in original Logisim, go for
it.  It has some cool features including a nice logic analyzer so you can
see circuit timing.

I should give them another try...

Re: Logisim Implementation

pawdwanlearner
Hey Cadet, I on implented the cpu and memory in original logisim it didnt take too much time and i wrote a small program in python to change the hack machine code into logisim hex format. I was able to test the basic programs with success. I took the design and moved it to digital and i must say its very cool so far. Ive implemented the ALU and PC with and the circuit testing facilities are very nice. I've started reading Digital design and computer Architecture Arm Edition by Sarah and David Harris. I was able to see the structure that they used and learned a little bit more about the RS latch -> Dlatch -> DFF -> 4bit register. (very cool). Alas i will be starting my Graduate studies pretty soon and won't have time to fiddle, but if you guys see me in a maker fair somewhere with the Hack computer buzzing along in real hardware. Say hello.