Note on computations that are "not trivial"

Note on computations that are "not trivial"

Writhe
I am trying to understand this note in chapter 2 (pp 37-38):

"We note that some of these computations, beginning with the
function f(x, y)= 1, are not trivial."

Does this mean in this instance that functions such as the above have more than one output within these 64 different possible computations? (i.e. does f(x, y)=1 appear in multiple positions of the full ALU truth table as expanded from Figure 2.6)

Re: Note on computations that are "not trivial"

Writhe wrote
I am trying to understand this note in chapter 2 (pp 37-38):

"We note that some of these computations, beginning with the
function f(x, y)= 1, are not trivial."

Does this mean in this instance that functions such as the above have more than one output within these 64 different possible computations? (i.e. does f(x, y)=1 appear in multiple positions of the full ALU truth table as expanded from Figure 2.6)
No, that would be that not all of the functions are "unique" or "distinct". It is true that some of the functions have more than one set of control bit settings that yield the same function, but that has no bearing on whether or not they are trivial.

In this sense, "trivial" means "simple" or "easy" and what is being conveyed is that determining the right combination of control bit settings to produce a desired output, even for functions as seemingly simply as outputting a constant value of 1, may not be obvious or easy to determine.