Project which prepares for programming the assembler

Project which prepares for programming the assembler

Josef8429
Does anyone has some recommendations for a programming project, which prepares a bit for the assembler project? I've finished the codacademy python course now, but it seems to me that really learning how to program is only possible with a project, but on the other side, the assembler project seems to be a number to high for me (with only the codeacademy course as background). Greetings, Josef

Re: Project which prepares for programming the assembler

Josef8429 wrote
Does anyone has some recommendations for a programming project, which prepares a bit for the assembler project?f
Python's a great language to use for the assembler.

The assembler isn't as hard as it sounds; it's mostly manipulating text and a little record keeping about what you find during the text processing.

Try writing some programs that play with text. For instance, read the lines in a file and output those lines with the words in reversed order. Do the same thing, but keep the words in order, just reverse the letters in the words.

A program that will use the "symbol table" concept would be to read a text file and report every unique word used in the file and the line number of the first line where it is found. (I love Python's dictionaries.)

Try the same program as above, but report all the punctuation used in the file and its first use.  Punctuation defined as characters that are not letters, numbers, spaces or newlines.

--Mark