SRFF in HDL?

LionelGoulet
Am I correct in discovering that one canNOT synthesize an SR flip-flip in HDL? When I LOAD the following HDL, I get the following error message: CHIP SRFF { IN S, R; OUT Q, Qbar; PARTS: Nor (a=S, b=Q, out=Qbar); Nor (a=R, b=Qbar, out=Q); } This chip has a circle in its parts connections: SRFF.hdl I would REALLY LIKE to demonstrate a D Flip-Flop to my students, starting with an SR Flip-Flop. Is there anything I can do?

Re: SRFF in HDL?

LionelGoulet wrote
Am I correct in discovering that one canNOT synthesize an SR flip-flip in HDL?
That's correct. Nand2Tetris can only simulate synchronous sequential circuits.

I strongly recommend Logisim. It's a GUI based logic simulator that will let you demonstrate Nand latches and how to build flip-flops from them.

Another good resource for learning about various sorts of flip-flops (an lots of other electronics, too) is http://play-hookey.com/digital/.

RE: SRFF in HDL?

LionelGoulet

Mark:

That’s great! Logism is just what I was looking for (given not HDL). You guys are so helpful!!!

-LLiioonneell

Lionel Goulet

(781) 209-0856

Te Deum

Am I correct in discovering that one canNOT synthesize an SR flip-flip in HDL?

That's correct. Nand2Tetris can only simulate synchronous sequential circuits.

I strongly recommend Logisim. It's a GUI based logic simulator that will let you demonstrate Nand latches and how to build flip-flops from them.

Another good resource for learning about various sorts of flip-flops (an lots of other electronics, too) is http://play-hookey.com/digital/.

http://nand2tetris-questions-and-answers-forum.32033.n3.nabble.com/SRFF-in-HDL-tp4027330p4027332.html

To unsubscribe from SRFF in HDL?, click here.
NAML