Source code for CPU simulator?

DoctorMikeReddy
I'd like the chance to create new CPU architectures, such as adding flags to the ALU, etc. However, the CPU, and other bits, are already coded as JARs and Classes. Is there a chance that some of the source could be open sourced, to allow us to make our own variants of the CPU emulator?

DoctorMike

Re: Source code for CPU simulator?

ivant
Most of the software tools are open source. You can find the source here https://www.nand2tetris.org/software (it's at the bottom of the page). The only exceptions are things like the Jack compiler, which is something that the students are supposed to develop during the course.

The source code is rather old and doesn't even include an automated build file. Some time ago, I created a fork here: https://github.com/itoshkov/nand2tetris-emu. It uses maven for building, fixes several problems (e.g. the original code uses enum as a variable name, and it's now a reserved keyword) and bugs, plus some new features. You may find it easier to start from there.

Re: Source code for CPU simulator?

DoctorMikeReddy
Thank you!

On 4 Dec 2020, at 12:02, ivant [via Nand2Tetris Questions and Answers Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Most of the software tools are open source. You can find the source here https://www.nand2tetris.org/software (it's at the bottom of the page). The only exceptions are things like the Jack compiler, which is something that the students are supposed to develop during the course.

The source code is rather old and doesn't even include an automated build file. Some time ago, I created a fork here: https://github.com/itoshkov/nand2tetris-emu. It uses maven for building, fixes several problems (e.g. the original code uses enum as a variable name, and it's now a reserved keyword) and bugs, plus some new features. You may find it easier to start from there.

http://nand2tetris-questions-and-answers-forum.32033.n3.nabble.com/Source-code-for-CPU-simulator-tp4035291p4035292.html
To unsubscribe from Source code for CPU simulator?, click here.
NAML

Re: Source code for CPU simulator?

AndyPro720
Hey! Could I have the updated version?