The VHDL Simulator

adrian.berg
Hi, I just received my book a few days ago. I'm not disappointed, just curious:

<ul>
<li> What was the reasoning for creating another VHDL simulator instead of using GHDL? </li>
<li> What are the advantages of the software provided with the book? </li>
<li> Might I be able to use GHDL instead of the HardwareSimulator.sh? </li>
</ul>

Hopefully I will have better questions as I read through the text. Thank you for this wonderful opportunity to really understand the CS field better, and I'm really looking forward to continuing through this book!

Edit:
I'm sure this will all click as I dig further, but it will still be helpful to get some feedback. I also just noticed that the Introductory Digital Systems Laboratory course at MIT gives students several software choices for writing VHDL code: NOVA, WARP, and even Emacs. I'm not interested in the first two, my interest is in free software. A listing of the tools used can be found here:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-111-introductory-digital-systems-laboratory-fall-2002/tools/