Where is documentation?

pallenfgcu
I'm struggling each project to find documentation.  Right now I'm on Project 4, and don't really understand the first operand in the branching instructions, and would like to look at the Hack Assembly language specification.  I've looked all over the nand2tetris site and the coursera course pages.  I hate having to go back into the videos to try and find the minimal info that is given on specifications.

Even the hardware language document is vague at best, but at least it is available.  Though you have to find it in a project link, as there is no resources page with links to these documents.  Just interface demos.  I kept inferring from the videos that resources like this would be available, but it's looking like the expectation is that you will buy the textbook.

Not that I don't want the book, and or planned to get a copy of it, but it's not stated upfront that the course requires a $50 to $181 purchase of the book to complete it. I am very disappointed if this is the case.

Re: Where is documentation?

pm100
You gotta have the book. Amazon has it listed for 20$ second hand. It's well worth it

Re: Where is documentation?

dolomiti7
For the first part if the book (Chapters 1-6), the old version is freely available on the homepage as pdf - as well as some slides:
https://www.nand2tetris.org/course

Re: Where is documentation?

pallenfgcu
Too funny.  I saw that page several times in my searching the site, and NEVER caught that the icons in the little cards were clickable links.

I'm sure this will help.  Thanks!!!

Paul

Re: Where is documentation?

pallenfgcu
Problem is the $20 paperback will take 2 weeks to get.  Trying to finish this course up quickly as an evaluation of material to include in my Fall Digital Systems course.

Thank you though!

Paul

Re: Where is documentation?

pallenfgcu wrote
Problem is the $20 paperback will take 2 weeks to get.  Trying to finish this course up quickly as an evaluation of material to include in my Fall Digital Systems course.

Thank you though!

Paul
But you have time. The first six chapters of the book (1st Ed) are free and available on the website. By the time you get through them, your book will have arrived for the second half of the course.