Which end of the adder is the LSB? (endian!)

Which end of the adder is the LSB? (endian!)

David Rysdam
The implementation note just says "from right to left" but which end is the right? Is it in/out[0] or in/out[15]?

Re: Which end of the adder is the LSB? (endian!)

milythael
Typically, the least significant bit of a number matches how we use
decimal numbers in general.  Left is most significant and right is
least significant.  If I recall, the bits of a bus are labeled as
such: 9876543210 for a 10 bit bus.

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 2:19 PM, David Rysdam [via TECS Questions and
> The implementation note just says "from right to left" but which end is the
> right? Is it in/out[0] or in/out[15]?

Re: Which end of the adder is the LSB? (endian!)

David Rysdam
I guess I'll just try it both ways and see which passes.

Re: Which end of the adder is the LSB? (endian!)

David Rysdam wrote
The implementation note just says "from right to left" but which end is the right? Is it in/out[0] or in/out[15]?
Bits on buses are numbered such that bit n is the 2n bit of numbers; bit 0 is the LSB.

Re: Which end of the adder is the LSB? (endian!)

David Rysdam
Yay, right on the first try. Bit 0 is the LSB, i.e. doesn't need a carry in from bit 1.