Windows 8

Adrian
None of the tools are working. I wonder if they are compatible with Windows 8?

Re: Windows 8

ybakos
Can you please be more specific? What do you mean, exactly, by "None of the tools are working?"

Re: Windows 8

Adrian
The Windows batch files in the tools folder aren't working. I'm trying to install the hardware simulator. After I extract the nand2tetris folder, do I simply open the windows batch file to install? When I click 'Run' it appears that the command prompt opens for a split second then closes right away.

Re: Windows 8

Re: Windows 8

Clive Dee
Set an environmental variable JAVA_HOME that points to the jre bin directory and include
%JAVA_HOME% in the Path environmental variable and all should be well

Re: Windows 8

beglad
I was never able to get your suggestion to work. I don't know what I did wrong. But I do know I did the following to get the batch files to work in Windows 8.

1. I worked in Explorer mode. This is an absolute requirement for Java. I've set up my Windows 8 to run in Explorer mode by default.
2. I created a folder on my desktop named java
3. I copied all the the directory jre7 files from java to this directory
4. I went to control panel, all control panel items, System, Advanced System Properties, Environment Variables
5. I put in a new variable under my user name (probably could have set the New variable under System variables).
6. The New Variable is path and its Value is C:\java\jre7\bin.

Now the batch files (*.bat) run and run from any location. Sometimes Windows whines about the programs might be insecure, but you can click on more information and then click on run anyway.