moving rectangle

The_Larks
Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my code? It just extends downward and grows in length. It should move like an up and down pong bat.

    method void moveDown() {
        if(y < 254) {
            do Screen.setColor(false);
            do Screen.drawRectangle(x, y+1, width ,height + 1);
            let y = y+2;
            let height = height + 2;
            do Screen.setColor(true);
            do Screen.drawRectangle(x,y-1,width,height-1);
        }
        return;

Re: moving rectangle

(It would be better to have width and height fixed and to code the draws as
    drawRectangle(x, y+1, x+width, y+1+height)
This way you don't have multiple variables the must be kept in lockstep.)

You problem is that you are drawing the two rectangles exactly on top of each other.

    draw(... y+1 ...)
    yy = y+2
    draw(... yy-1 ...)

so yy-1 = y+2-1 = y+1.

Re: moving rectangle

The_Larks
thanks. Funny, my implementation of moveUp worked… I had already gone down a rabbit hole by then and couldn’t see the obvious.
On Nov 15, 2016, at 5:54 PM, cadet1620 [via Nand2Tetris Questions and Answers Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

(It would be better to have width and height fixed and to code the draws as
    drawRectangle(x, y+1, x+width, y+1+height)
This way you don't have multiple variables the must be kept in lockstep.)

You problem is that you are drawing the two rectangles exactly on top of each other.

    draw(... y+1 ...)
    yy = y+2
    draw(... yy-1 ...)

so yy-1 = y+2-1 = y+1.

http://nand2tetris-questions-and-answers-forum.32033.n3.nabble.com/moving-rectangle-tp4030537p4030538.html
To unsubscribe from moving rectangle, click here.
NAML

Re: moving rectangle

The_Larks
Could you tell me why this code is creating black streaks across the screen? I’m not really familiar with jack and affecting pixel movement:

    method void moveUp() {
        if(y > 2) {
            do Screen.setColor(false);
            do Screen.drawRectangle(x, y, width, height + 1);
            let y = y - 2;
            let height = height - 2;
            do Screen.setColor(true);
            do Screen.drawRectangle(x, y, width, height + 1);
        }
        return;
    }
    method void moveDown() {
        if(height < 253) {
            do Screen.setColor(false);
            do Screen.drawRectangle(x, y, width ,height - 1);
            let y = y + 2;
            let height = height + 2;
            do Screen.setColor(true);
            do Screen.drawRectangle(x, y, width, height -1 );
        }
        return;
    }

    method void moveLeft() {
        if(x > 2) {
            do Screen.setColor(false);
            do Screen.drawRectangle(x, y, width+1, height);
            let x = x - 2;
            let width = width - 2;
            do Screen.setColor(true);
            do Screen.drawRectangle(x, y, width+1, height);
        }
        return;
    }

    method void moveRight() {
        if((width) < 509) {
[...]

NAML

NAML

Re: moving rectangle

The_Larks wrote
[...]

Screen.drawRectangle(x1, y1, x2, y2) draws a rectangle with corners (x1, y1) and (x2, y2). You need to draw the same sized rectangle in all four of these routines. The rectangles in moveDown() appear to be 2 pixels shorter than those in moveUp().

Re: moving rectangle

The_Larks
Thanks. Fixed. I got that by combining pong bat and squareGame. I must’ve missed something and thought it was integral part of creating movement.

The_Larks wrote

http://nand2tetris-questions-and-answers-forum.32033.n3.nabble.com/moving-rectangle-tp4030537p4030542.html