no screen output when I run VME

Ken Kornstett
Problem description:  I do not get a screen output when I run the virtual machine emulator (VME) for the compiled square program.

What I have done:
I compiled the square.jack programs (Main.jack, Square.jack, and SquareGame.jack) using the JackCompiler and got the three ".vm" files.  I loaded the eight OS files into the same directory and ran the VME program.  I loaded the square directory into the VME program and started the program.
The program square seems to run, but no screen display.

When I type on my computer keyboard, I can see the keys in the space to the right of the VME keyboard.  However, the screen area above does not show anything.  I have the view set to "screen" and the screen is filled with white space.

I suspect it is some kind of initialization problem.

I wrote and ran the programs up through chapter six a couple of years ago.  It worked fine then (after I modified the "bat" files by putting in quotes).  I was using a different computer then.  Now, I am using tecs-software-suite-2.5 software.  I tried running the same program using the old software, but it did not work either.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ken

Re: no screen output when I run VME

culchie
Hi
I think maybe your problem is that you need to select the list entry "No animation" from the list labelled
"animate" just above the screen in the VM Emulator. The list option  "program flow" is the default one and with this nothing gets drawn on the screen. I think it's confusing but I think "animation" is where they show the values going from one memory location etc to a register etc rather than stuff on screen

Re: no screen output when I run VME

Ken Kornstett
Yes, that was the problem.  Selecting "No animation" solved the problem of no screen output.

Thank you for the help.

Ken