screen memory mapping

zermelo
For the fill project, I successfully get all the RAM locations from 16384(SCREEN) until 24575(KBD-1) to hold the value -1 when a key is pressed. However, this only darkens one pixel of the screen. It's as if the RAM I'm seeing on the CPU Emulator is not synced with the screen. Am I the only one with this issue?
Thanks-

Re: screen memory mapping

I haven't heard of this problem.

Please tell us what OS and version, and what Java version version you are running.

Re: screen memory mapping

zermelo
Hi Mark-
I'm running CPU Emulator 2.5 on OS X 10.10 with Java 6 update 34.
On the picture below, you can see that all the memory is filled with -1, while only 1 pixel of the screen is dark.

Re: screen memory mapping

Very strange. I'm not a Mac user, hopefully someone who is can comment.

You might try updating Java. The last Java 6 I was using was update 29 and it worked OK on Windows XP, but after that I moved to Java 7.

It looks like Java 6 has been end-of-lifed. See https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_6.xml. The final update was version 45.

Re: screen memory mapping

ybakos
I have witnessed screen issues in the simulators for users of Yosemite and Java 6.

@zermelo: Upgrade to the latest JDK:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html

Re: screen memory mapping

zermelo
Problem solved with the latest JDK (but still present with java 6 update 71).
Thank you for your help.

Re: screen memory mapping

Karl Wilson
I think this bug would be in interesting thing to understand, in reference to the subject of the class. Obviously we are not yet to that point - but it would be nice to understand what happened, and what might be able to do about it, other than waiting for someone to update the SDK.

Thanks for the answer, I was having the same issue and it what definitely taking the wind out of my sails.

Great class!

thanks!

Re: screen memory mapping

hvilla
Hi, everyone.

I am also having this problem even though I am running the latest version of Java (8 update 77).
I am on a MacBook Pro with OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

Any help is appreciated.

Best.