second edition of the book forthcoming

burger-flipper
Looks like there's a significantly updated version of the book coming this summer.

Anyone know if the courses will also be updated?
Was considering starting, but will now likely wait for the new edition.

Re: second edition of the book forthcoming

For what it's worth, here's my recommendation.

Don't spend any money on anything until the new book/course is released.

However, the first half of the first edition is available free and all the tools for the first edition are free, so there's no reason not to get started with that. The differences won't be very noticeable at all for the first half.

Re: second edition of the book forthcoming

burger-flipper
Thanks for the info.  I might dip my toe in to the beginning.  But for sure will bone up on Python in preparation.  Excited to give this a go!

Re: second edition of the book forthcoming

ouverson
This week I started Part II in earnest.

Prior to starting Part II, I watched Part II videos, skimmed Part II slides, read Part II Project material, and read book chapters 7 through 12: to familiarize myself with the concepts, language, etc.

I see that the second edition is available June 15, 2021: The Elements of Computing Systems, second edition: Building a Modern Computer from First Principles 2nd Edition

Are Coursera courses "second edition" also in the works? Or maybe the improvements/changes were incorporated already?

Re: second edition of the book forthcoming

I hope the second edition will be available soon. It's been promised for some time now.

I have no idea what the status of the Coursera course is like. I'll try to get an answer on that from the authors.

I also don't know how things will need to change on this site as the two sets of projects are slightly incompatible, so mixing 1ed and 2ed discussions could cause confusion.