Adjusting command line execution for all the tests

Adjusting command line execution for all the tests

longj_silver
Greetings to everybody!
I am considering the idea to propose the course (and the tests) to a large number of students, therefore I was preparing some batch scripts (Windows7) in order to automatically verify the students' work. Actually I rely on command line executions of the simulators and I stumbled on testing the Memory chip by means of HardwareSimulator. When I execute it in command line mode, it seems to indefinitely loop: probably that is due to the test mechanism requiring for this chip to press a couple of keys.
I was wondering if there is any workaround for such a problem. I took the on-line course some time ago and I remember that I was able to submit all my chips for grading. Since I believe that they were automatically verified, I suppose there could be a way to adjust the command line mode even for the Memory chip.
Many thanks for all the help you are going to provide me!

Re: Adjusting command line execution for all the tests

[Updated files. Test now reads back Screen to ensure that the horizontal lines are present.]
longj_silver wrote
I rely on command line executions of the simulators and I stumbled on testing the Memory chip by means of HardwareSimulator. When I execute it in command line mode, it seems to indefinitely loop: probably that is due to the test mechanism requiring for this chip to press a couple of keys.

Memory.tst is definitely hanging because the keys are never being pressed.

I don't know how the Coursera grader works; I'm not involved with that.

The quickest solution would be to remove the code in the test script that is waiting for a key and modifying the compare file to match the new output, but this is non-ideal because the Keyboard interface in Memory.hdl then goes untested.

The better solution is to give the test scripts some way to press keys. I took a look at the source code and saw that all the infrastructure for the built-in Keyboard part to recieve values from the test script's "set" command is already there; it just raises an "unimplemented" exception.

So I've spent the last hour or so hacking code... (Warning, I'm not a Java programmer; somebody who is should vet my changes!)

So, here's a Keyboard part that tests can drive, and a test script that will work from the command line.

Keyboard.java Source code with annotated changes.
Keyboard.class Replaces file in nand2tetris/tools/builtInChips
MemoryNoKB.tst Test script for Memory.hdl with automatic key presses.
MemoryNoKB.cmp Compare file for MemoryNoKB.tst.

Keep a copy of the original Keyboard.class in case mine is buggy.

Test script examples:

    set Keyboard[] 75;  // press 'K'
    set Keyboard[] 0;   // release key

Re: Adjusting command line execution for all the tests

longj_silver
Dear Mark,
your help went beyond my best expectations!
After a quick attempt it seems that everything works fine and my problem appears to be solved.
I am not a Java programmer either, but I will take a look at your code. If I understood well you incorporated the "key-press" into the test itself (just like a human user who is interactively pressing on the keyboard), didn't you?
Maybe the only open issue is the screen test, where the user is called to verify the presence of 2 horizontal lines in the middle of the screen, but I think this could be considered a minor drawback.
Thank you very much for your kind and quick support.

Re: Adjusting command line execution for all the tests

longj_silver wrote
 If I understood well you incorporated the "key-press" into the test itself (just like a human user who is interactively pressing on the keyboard), didn't you?
Maybe the only open issue is the screen test, where the user is called to verify the presence of 2 horizontal lines in the middle of the screen
Exactly. Just before the while loops waiting for keyboard input I added a set command to press the appropriate key.

Good catch. I'll add a readback check for the lines to the test later this afternoon and post an update.
// Keyboard test

set address 24576,
echo "Click the Keyboard icon and hold down the 'K' key (uppercase) until you see the next message (it should appear shortly after that) ...",
// It's important to keep holding the key down since if the system is busy,
// the memory will zero itself before being outputted.

set Keyboard[] 75;        <================== 'K' pressed here

while out <> 75 {
    eval,
}

clear-echo,
output;				// checks KB input value
set Keyboard[] 0;         <================== 'K' released here

// Screen test

Re: Adjusting command line execution for all the tests

cadet1620 wrote
Good catch. I'll add a readback check for the lines to the test later this afternoon and post an update.
The files in the original post have been updated.

Note that there is now a MemoryNoKB.cmp file.

Re: Adjusting command line execution for all the tests

longj_silver
Dear Mark,
I have been reading your files and I compared them with the original ones. Actually, at first I tried to get a flavour of the test script language in order to fix some points in my mind (until now I did not linger on this topic).
It seems to me that you verify the appearance of the lines on the screen by introducing a couple of test cases in MemoryNoKB.tst: in practice you read (load =0) from the very same addresses previously set for writing in the RAM (the addresses should be X4FCF and X504F, which memory-map towards the screen). As concerning the in-value 9999 I believe it could be simply a dummy entry without any usefulness. Accordingly, you modified the .out file so that the expected "out" results should be equal to -1 (i.e. the black pixels to draw the lines). Probably the .java and .class files remained unchanged.
Is this correct?
I beg your pardon for taking advantage of your patience, but I would like to fully understand your novel test implementations, rater than simply (and blindly) applying them. In this way, I hope I will be able to realize something useful in case of future necessity.
Many thanks!

[...]

All of the above is correct.  The reason for changing the 'in' to something other than -1 is to verify that load=0 is being honored; that a write does not occur.

Yes, Keyboard.java and .class didn't change.
I beg your pardon for taking advantage of your patience, but I would like to fully understand your novel test implementations, rater than simply (and blindly) applying them. In this way, I hope I will be able to realize something useful in case of future necessity.
Many thanks!
No worries.  Teaching what I know is the way I pay back all the old programmers and engineers that helped me out when I was just starting.

--Mark