Animate: Program and data flow

gs99
Is there a way to single step through Program and data flow?

Re: Animate: Program and data flow

Single Step will execute one statement in the test script. You may need to edit the test script if it uses repeats.

Note: "tick, output, tock, output;" is one statement, "tick, output; tock, output;" is two.

Re: Animate: Program and data flow

gs99
When I Single Step with option Animate: “Program and data flow”, many smaller steps are shown within each Step.

I’d like to single step through these smaller steps, to get a better appreciation of what is being done.

Re: Animate: Program and data flow

As I said, you will need to edit the test script. Single step works one statement at a time. Statements are terminated by ';'. Use them instead of ','.

Re: Animate: Program and data flow

gs99
Within a “Single Step” statement, there may be many steps displayed when “Program and data flow” is selected. In some cases, I counted 30 steps, where values are being changed.

These are the smaller steps I’d like to see one at a time.

Re: Animate: Program and data flow

Example where this occurs, please. Which .tst file, what line number.

If you are talking about individual gate level changes -- gate A changes causing gate B to change causing ... -- there is no way to single step that.

Re: Animate: Program and data flow

gs99
Example: CPU.tst.
set instruction %B0011000000111001, // @12345
tick, output, tock, output;
there are about 8 steps/changes shown.

I’ve not seen an explanation of this Animate option, so I don’t know what these smaller steps are called.
There’s no benefit to this option if we can’t see them one at a time.
It appears to be the equivalent of single-stepping lines of code in a computer program.
I thought it may help to reveal some logic errors.

Re: Animate: Program and data flow

The best you can do is to change all the
    tick, output, tock output;
lines to
    eval; tick, output; tock, output;
(Note ','s and ';'s)

Re: Animate: Program and data flow

And after the animation plays you can see what changed by scrolling; the changed values are blue.

--Mark