CHIP Name doesnt match the HD...

daniel_sahm
Hi there,

I am trying my CHIPS in the Hardware Simulator. From the beginning, I had problems with this error. I read in the forums and it seems to have something to do with ANSI-coding. I use Mac OS X and save all files with Textwrangler in Windows Latin1, Unix Line Feed. At the beginning this seemed to work. Now as I have restarted my computer nothing works anymore. The HW-Simulator does not even recognize the native Nand.hdl file anymore as pasted below. I have changed nothing in that file. If I leave the file in the folder where it was originally unzipped, then the file works. But COPYING the file from one folder to another seems to break it even though I do not even OPEN it. What could I do about this?
Thanks for any help.

// This file is part of www.nand2tetris.org
// and the book "The Elements of Computing Systems"
// by Nisan and Schocken, MIT Press.
// File name: tools/builtIn/Nand.hdl

/**
 * Nand gate: out = a Nand b.
 */

CHIP Nand {

    IN  a, b;
    OUT out;

    BUILTIN Nand;

Re: CHIP Name doesnt match the HD...

A common cause of the "CHIP name doesn't match" error is file name case.  For instance if your file gets renamed to "and.hdl" instead of the correct "And.hdl".  I've seen this most often on Windows where occasionally file names become ALL UPPERCASE AND IT'S VERY ANNOYING.  8-)

Re: CHIP Name doesnt match the HD...

daniel_sahm
Hi Mark,

thanks for the answer but that is not the problem in this case :/

Daniel

Re: CHIP Name doesnt match the HD...

You'll need to give us more information.

How did you copy the file?

Post a screen shot of the failure.

E-mail me a .rar or .zip archive of the entire directory containing the file that doesn't open.

--Mark