Can't read the full error output in hardware simulator?

Can't read the full error output in hardware simulator?

tornado711

I've started building the gates from Chapter 1 and I'm currently on the AND gate. However, I'm doing something wrong in the HDL code and the error telling me what is wrong is being cut off. I managed to find a post with a user who had the same problem, and it mentioned running the hardware simulator in CMD. However, I'm having trouble with that! I've searched for an executable to run. There are some Jar files but attempting to run those will simply return an error. I could use a hand on getting the hardware simulator to run in CMD so that I can see the full error log, as I do not have much experience with terminal related work. Thanks in advance!

Re: Can't read the full error output in hardware simulator?

tornado711 wrote
... running the hardware simulator in CMD. However, I'm having trouble with that! I've searched for an executable to run. There are some Jar files but attempting to run those will simply return an error. I could use a hand on getting the hardware simulator to run in CMD so that I can see the full error log, as I do not have much experience with terminal related work. Thanks in advance!
The file that you want to run in HardwareSimulator.bat. It's a batch script that sets runs the Java files.

You can run the batch file using its full path

D:\nand2tetris\projects\01> D:\nand2tetris\tools\HardwareSimulator And.tst
In HDL file D:\nand2tetris\projects\01\And.hdl, Line 18, Can't connect part's output pin to gate's input pin: load And.hdl

D:\nand2tetris\projects\01>
It is easier if you add the D:\nand2tetris\tools directory to your PATH variable. Then you just need to type HardwareSimulator
D:\nand2tetris\projects\01> HardwareSimulator Not.tst
End of script - Comparison ended successfully

D:\nand2tetris\projects\01>
Here's description on adding directories to your PATH variable
    https://www.java.com/en/download/help/path.xml

Close and restart CMD and confirm that your PATH variable now contains the nand2tetris\tools directory.

D:\nand2tetris\projects\01>path
PATH=d:\nand2tetris\tools;c:\usr\binw;c:\bin;c:\programdata\oracle\java\javapath;c:\python3.4;c:\python2.7;c:\windows\
system32; . . .

D:\nand2tetris\projects\01>

Re: Can't read the full error output in hardware simulator?

tornado711
This post was updated on .
Wow thanks! And from what I'm getting from the syntax, you fill in the test file and what happens is that it searched for the HDL file correct? Also is there no way to get the error message working in the GUI itself?

Re: Can't read the full error output in hardware simulator?

You need to CD into your projects\01 directory so that HardwareSimulator can find the test and HDL files that it should open.

There are no command line options for HardwareSimulator.

Also, the batch files have issues with spaces in directory names. I think that you will need to move your nand2tetris files to somewhere like C:\...\desktop\folders\nand2tetris

Re: Can't read the full error output in hardware simulator?

[reeply to edit post...]

There is no way to get the entire message showing in the GUI due to the very long path names.

Put the nand2tetris folder on your desktop tp keep the path names as short as possible.

Re: Can't read the full error output in hardware simulator?

xedover
This post was updated on .
cadet1620 wrote
There is no way to get the entire message showing in the GUI due to the very long path names.
actually, you can hover your mouse over the error message, and it will popup the complete line in alt-text