Chip questions

dmoeller
I understand that Not16, And16, and Or have 32 inputs and 16 outputs. Does Or8Way have 8 inputs and 1 output? Does Mux4Way16 have 4 inputs and 16 outputs? how does that work? Same questions for Mux8Way16, Dmux4Way, and Dmux8Way. I dont understand if I need:
IN a[16]
IN b[16]
or if I need:
IN a[8]
IN b[8]

And with the Mux and Dmux question I don't know how many inputs and outputs it is asking for.

Re: Chip questions

Think of named inputs and outputs as signals, not as individual bits.

n-Way means n inputs, or in the case of DMuxes, n outputs.
The trailing number is the width of the data signals.

In the case of Mux4Way16, there are 4 data inputs and one data output, all of which are 16-bit buses.
Because the Mux4Way16 is choosing between 4 data inputs, the select input needs to be a 2-bit bus.

In the case of Or8Way there are 8 data inputs and one data output.  Even though in is an 8-bit bus, in's bits must be treated individually. They are all ORed together to generate the 1-bit out.

Re: Chip questions

dmoeller
ok, I think I get it. Thank you.

Re: Chip questions

dmoeller
one thing I just though of, For the Or8Way and the MuxXWay chips, could I do somehting like:
out=out
for every Or chip I reference?

Re: Chip questions

dmoeller wrote
one thing I just though of, For the Or8Way and the MuxXWay chips, could I do somehting like:
out=out
for every Or chip I reference?
You will need several Or chips to make intermediate results. Only the final Or will have out=out.
Start with something like
Or (a=in[0], b=in[1], out=or1);
Do this for all 4 pairs of input bits and you have reduced the problem to ORing the 4 orn signals together.

Re: Chip questions

dmoeller
ok, thank you