Compiling the Tools Suite

jadudm
Hi all,

While I find the tools suite to be wonderful in many ways, I need to modify some of the error messages for basic usability for my students.

Do you have any scripts that you use for building the tools suite? A Makefile? Ant script/file? Is there a repository where the tools suite lives that had build instructions beyond those contained in the README?

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide any input/insight into how to build the .jars for the suite. (Or, a post where you've described this previously, or some other page that I'm not aware of.) Because things that I would expect to be independent (eg. the Assembler and the GUI) are not, I'm wondering if I need to build the .jars in a particular order, or...

Many thanks,
Matt

Re: Compiling the Tools Suite

ivant
Hi Matt,

I created maven scripts to build these. You can them here. The project has additional tools (currently a VM level profiler), but if you want just the mavenized original, you can get it from commit 32665f0f.

Building the project is easy. Just type
mvn install
from the root directory and it'll create executable jars in HardwareSimulator/target, CPUEmulator/target, VMEmulator/target and TextComparer/target. These are almost self-contained (so called uber-jars). The only missing thing are the resources from the InstallDir folder. I tried to embed them as well, but the code expects them as files and I haven't had the time to fix that yet. So you'll have to run the jars from the InstallDir, like this:
cd InstallDir
java -jar ../VMEmulator/target/VMEmulator-2.5-SNAPSHOT.jar

HTH,
Ivan

Re: Compiling the Tools Suite

jadudm
Many thanks, Ivan. That's excellent; I can work with that.

If I do anything interesting/potentially worth noting, I'll drop a pull request or something. Either way, thank you.

Cheers,

Re: Compiling the Tools Suite

I just realized, that the tools can't find the built-in chips/vm classes. I'll try to fix this as soon as possible.

[EDIT]
Fixed. I just forgot to add the dependencies to the POM files.