Edited text not loading in hardware simulator

Edited text not loading in hardware simulator

tjohnson826
This post was updated on .
Whenever I try to edit a .hdl file (for example 'not.hdl'), the file will not load in the hardware simulator. I type the code I am trying to add in the text editor, I save it, and then try to load it in the hardware simulator. The file simply will not load, and running the .tst files does not work.
What I am trying to add is 'Nand(a=in,b=in,out=out);' which is, as far as I know, the code to create a not gate. I am using TextEdit on OS X El Capitan. Whenever I type 'java -version' in the terminal, this is the output
java version "1.8.0_60"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.60-b23, mixed mode)
Any help is appreciated, though please bear in mind, my technical vocabulary is limited.

Re: Edited text not loading in hardware simulator

tjohnson826 wrote
Whenever I try to edit a .hdl file (for example 'not.hdl'), the file will not load in the hardware simulator. I type the code I am trying to add in the text editor, I save it, and then try to load it in the hardware simulator. The file simply will not load, and running the .tst files does not work.
I am using TextEdit on OS X El Capitan.
You don't say what error you are getting when you load your edited Not.hdl file. There should be an error message in the status bar at the bottom left of the window.

Your issue is most likely that your text editor is saving files in Unicode, which the n2t tools do not support.

Set your editor to save the files in ASCII/ANSI encoding, not Unicode.

This thread talks about this issue. Also you can search the forum for "Unicode" to find some other threads.

Re: Edited text not loading in hardware simulator

tjohnson826
I tried a new format for my TextEdit 'Western (DOS Latin 1)', and now the scripts work. Thanks!