Hack architecture missing critical feature

Hack architecture missing critical feature

There's been something bothering me for a while about the Hack architecture. I finally realized what it is. There is no way to do provably secure computation since there is no Write Only Memory (WOM). A WOM allows data to be stored that provably cannot be read by anyone.

It seems to me that it would be an easy addition to the design to specify that some of the address space above 8000h (32768) be decoded to select 8K of WOM.

HDL skeleton for WOM8K:

/**
 * Write Only Memory of 8K registers, each 16-bit wide.
 */

CHIP WOM8K {
    IN  in[16], load, address[13];
    PARTS:
    // Implementation missing.
}
Implementation is left as an exercise for the student.

For those interested, a suitable real world part is the Signetics 25120. See sig-25120.pdf

Re: Hack architecture missing critical feature

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Hack architecture missing critical feature

culchie
You got me!
I was intrigued enough to look it up

Re: Hack architecture missing critical feature

Crap, another good April Fools joke wasted on me.

Re: Hack architecture missing critical feature

aetesaki
cadet1620 wrote
There's been something bothering me for a while about the Hack architecture.  I finally realized what it is.  There is no way to do provably secure computation since there is no Write Only Memory (WOM).  A WOM allows data to be stored that provably cannot be read by anyone.
It seems to me that it would be an easy addition to the design to specify that some of the address space above 8000h (32768) be decoded to select 8K of WOM.
HDL skeleton for WOM8K:
/**
 * Write Only Memory of 8K registers, each 16-bit wide.
 */

CHIP WOM8K {
    IN  in[16], load, address[13];
    PARTS:
    // Implementation missing.
}
</pre></blockquote>
Implementation is left as an exercise for  the student.
For those interested, a suitable real world part is the Signetics 25120.  See sig-25120.pdf
--Mark
You're missing the drain output, the second address port, and the snooze and the destruct signals