Hardware Simulator -- how to edit?

sakumar
This is so basic that I am almost embarrassed to ask -- how do I enter text in the Hardware Simulator?

I have pulled up the Not chip and I clicked on the text in the HDL window -- when I click the text it is highlighted by I can't enter any text from the keyboard. When I clicked "PARTS", the window to the right of the HDL window changed to "Internal Parts". But I can't enter anything from the keyboard in that window either.

I verified that the Not.hdl file has the right permissions (rwx). In fact, I can edit that file using a text editor as a workaround. But surely I should be able to edit text using the Hardware Simulator?

I'm using a Mac running OS X 10.8.2 and Hardware Simulator version 2.5

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Hardware Simulator -- how to edit?

The hardware simulator does not include source editing. Use your favorite source code editor.

Re: Hardware Simulator -- how to edit?

sakumar
Thanks for the quick response, Mark. What I thought was a "workaround" is the right way to do it then.

Re: Hardware Simulator -- how to edit?

mike2549
You think that was embarrassing?!
I can't get this to work.
I can copy the text from the HDL window to a text editor (Wordpad or Notepad) and make changes.
I am unable to paste the modifications back into the HDL window.
What am I missing here?
Thanks

Re: Hardware Simulator -- how to edit?

mike2549 wrote
I can copy the text from the HDL window to a text editor (Wordpad or Notepad) and make changes.
I am unable to paste the modifications back into the HDL window.
The Hardware Simulator does not have any editing capability. You must edit the .hdl file in your text editor and save the changes. Then you must reload the .hdl file into the Hardware Simulator. Note that if you have loaded a test script all you need to do is restart and rerun the script; it will reload the .hdl file.

Re: Hardware Simulator -- how to edit?

Mike2549
Thanks, Mark.
That works!
I've actually got the Not and And up and working (the test script gives them glowing reports).
BUT, I'm stuck on the Xor.  I know - they give it as an example in Chapter 1.  You'd think that I could copy it into the simulator correctly!
The "Nots" do not appear to process the nota and notb correctly when either a or b is 1 (they return 1).  They work fine when either a or b is 0 - they return 1 (which is correct).
Any leads, encouragement, etc. would be appreciated.
Cheers
Mike

Re: Hardware Simulator -- how to edit?

Have you done Or.hdl yet? The Xor in the book depends on it.

It's important to implement the chips in  the order listed in 1.2 / 1.3; The hardware simulator sometimes does strange things with chips that try to use unimplemented chips.

Do the Hardware Simulator tutorial if you haven't.

Re: Hardware Simulator -- how to edit?

mike2549
Mark,
Thanks for your prompt response.
I tried the sequence that you suggested and voila!
So, we're BOTH brilliant!
(I'll follow the sequence in the book from now.)
Thanks again.
Mike