Harware simulator won't load project hdl file

Harware simulator won't load project hdl file

Bill Thackston
Load dialogI can run the hardware simulator and load builtin chips, but I can't get any hdl files in the project folders to load.  See attached.  I can initiate the load, but the loaded code doesn't change.

Re: Harware simulator won't load project hdl file

Bill Thackston wrote
I can run the hardware simulator and load builtin chips, but I can't get any hdl files in the project folders to load.  See attached.  I can initiate the load, but the loaded code doesn't change.

The most common problem is to make your edits to the HDL files in a different directory. Make sure that your edited HDL files are in fact the ones in .../projects/01. Some Windows editors try to be helpful and put them in MyDocuments for you.

Another issue can be character encoding.  If your edited HDL files are saved as UTF instead of ASCII/ANSI there can be problems, but that usually results in error messages, not limbo.

If you have a recursive HDL definition, loading will hang, but the file dialog should be closed. An example of recursion would be to use a Not chip in the PARTS section of your Not.hdl.

Re: Harware simulator won't load project hdl file

Bill Thackston
Here is the path to my hdl file:
C:\nand2tetris\projects\01

None of the files in this folder will load, original blank templates or modified files.

Re: Harware simulator won't load project hdl file

I can run the hardware simulator and load builtin chips, but I can't get any hdl files in the project folders to load.  See attached.  I can initiate the load, but the loaded code doesn't change.
To clarify, you can load c:/nand2tetris/tools/builtInChips/Xor.hdl, but when you try to load unmodified c:/nand2tetris/projects/01/Not.hdl something fails.

Your Screen shot shows the dialog still open.  Does the dialog not close if you select LoadChip?  Or does the dialog close but there is no change in the appearance of the Hardware Simulator window?

What version of Windows are you running?  What version of Java.  Type "java -version" from the command line and you should get something like this:
C:\TECS\projects\01>java -version
java version "1.7.0_60"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 24.60-b09, mixed mode, sharing)

C:\TECS\projects\01>

Re: Harware simulator won't load project hdl file

Bill Thackston
Yes, the files in C:\nand2tetris\tools\builtInChips load, but the files in C:\nand2tetris\projects\01 do not.
The dialog box closes, but nothing loads.  I don't get any error messages.

java version "1.7.0_67"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client UM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode, sharing)

Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack 1

Re: Harware simulator won't load project hdl file

Bill Thackston wrote
Yes, the files in C:\nand2tetris\tools\builtInChips load, but the files in C:\nand2tetris\projects\01 do not.
The dialog box closes, but nothing loads.  I don't get any error messages.

java version "1.7.0_67"
Java HotSpot(TM) Client UM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode, sharing)

Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack 1
Very similar to my configuration: Windows 7 Pro 32-bit, java version "1.7.0_60".

Although I've never seen it with the n2t tools, I've had problems with other tools when files/directories have the wrong "owner". I found a "Take Ownership" mod that fixed those problems. See http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista.

Once you've added the Take Ownership context menu command, try taking ownership of your projects and projects/01 directories.

Re: Harware simulator won't load project hdl file

Bill, just to clarify, what happens, exactly, when you start the hardware simulator, and load 01/Not.hdl ?
 And when you quit and start the simulator again, and load a chip in the 02 directory?

What happens when you load a .tst file?