Help!

Adriel42
Hey guys,

I need help making the chips for project 1. I know I have to start with the Not, And, Or then Xor. But, how do I start the process of making the chip?

I will literally pay you if you can help me learn* it. Thank you!

Re: Help!

I was about to suggest on the Coursera forum that you post here.
Email to you on the way in a minute or two.

Re: Help!

Adriel42
Hello,

I am not too sure what you mean. Thanks!

Best,
Adriel

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 10:31 PM, cadet1620 [via Nand2Tetris Questions and Answers Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I was about to suggest on the Coursera forum that you post here.
Email to you on the way in a minute or two.

http://nand2tetris-questions-and-answers-forum.32033.n3.nabble.com/Help-tp4031919p4031920.html
To unsubscribe from Help!, click here.
NAML

Re: Help!

Jack Draak
Mark should be able to help you get on-track.

Do you understand the concept of the gate?

Gates can be opened or closed. Gates allow or deny access. In transistors, gates can be thought of as off or on, open or closed, or.... false or true.  If you don't quite "get" this part, you need to go back to page 1.  Yes, it may be tedious, but seriously, if you want to understand the rest of the book, you must understand this first.

Do you understand how/why a NAND gate does what it does?

If it's a bit foggy, do yourself a favor: get a pencil and paper.... now write-out the truth table for the gate in question, in other words, consider every possible combination of inputs, and evaluate the outputs... to make it a bit more simple, let's do a truth -table for the AND gate rather than the NAND gate, for right now:

the concept of AND is that an AND gate will be "true" if (and only if) all of it's inputs are true. In any other case, it will be false:

   a   b   out
-------------
   0   0   0
   0   1   0
   1   0   0
   1   1   1

Does this make sense? If not... you might want to go back to page 1.... if it does make sense, congratulations, you've already learned more about modern computers than most people know!

When it comes to combining gates to produce things like AND, OR, NOT, etc, I found nothing more valuable than pencil and paper.  Drawling diagrams of my circuits, writing truth tables, attempting to use K-maps and Boolean algebra... they will all be important tools in the first few chapters of the book.

I also found the logic simulator LogiSim to be extremely helpful. Good luck!

Re: Help!

Adriel42
Hello,

Thank you so much for the email. I decided to drop out of the course because I’m a front end dev and I don’t need this course. I really do appreciate you reaching out and helping me understand. You rock and tell Mark armbust he’s a one of a kind. Cheers!

Best,

Adriel Adonis Rodriguez

Clinical Assistant II - Emergency Department

Boston Children's Hospital

300 Longwood Avenue,

Boston, MA 02115

On Apr 2, 2018, at 11:37, Jack Draak [via Nand2Tetris Questions and Answers Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://nand2tetris-questions-and-answers-forum.32033.n3.nabble.com/Help-tp4031919p4031925.html
To unsubscribe from Help!, click here.
NAML

Re: Help!

pawdwanlearner
I suggest logisim also. I know for myself being able to graphically see  what i was doing and simulate my design helped a lot.