If you want for 0000000000000000 ;)

culchie
When making some chips you may find that you need to come up with a particular 16 bit number eg '0000000000000001'.
It wasn't obvious to me how to do this until I read Appendix A (HDL).
Before reading this appendix I was going 'around the houses' using Not16s and Add16s to do it

Re: If you want for 0000000000000000 ;)

mbm29414
Culchie,

I have an idea about what you're saying, but I don't want to post it and possibly spoil the discovery for someone else.

Is there a way to PM you or something like that?

Ooh, this one is so good!

Re: If you want for 0000000000000000 ;)

DiogoNeves
Can I send one as well? I just started but this looks like a good exercise hehe :)

Re: If you want for 0000000000000000 ;)

Oliver
This is certainly a tough one and I cracked it. The problem here is that we are confusing learning the tool and learning the material. Appendix A is the answer, yes, but we can do better to provide clues to the resolution.

I say this because I suspect many people may have done very well understanding material and actually KNOW what they need to do but can't quite implement it. Again knowing the tool vs. knowing what to do.

So I conclude, study A.5.3 VERY CLOSELY.

Appendix A: http://www.nand2tetris.org/chapters/appendix%20A.pdf
Ed

Re: If you want for 0000000000000000 ;)

Ed
Great... I needed that to make "000000000000001";