Installing on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

jos van kesteren
Hi

First of all, a very big thank you to the nand2tetris team for their work.

However, on my Ubuntu 10.04 installation, the software did not work right out of the box.
It required a little bit of extra work (but hey, all the stuff is free, so you should at least be prepared to throw in a little effort of your own every once in a while.)

After installing 3 packages listed below, at least the hardware simulator runs correctly.

1: gij-4.3 : with package manager.
2: libgcj10  : also with package manager
3: openjdk-6-jre : Obtained via the following URL: http://apt.ubuntu.com/p/openjdk-6-jre

As of now (21 Oktober) I haven't tested the other components of the nand2tetris software yet.

So, fellow Ubuntu users, if anything is still missing from the list above, to get nand2tetris to work, please reply on this forum, and share your findings with the world.

Jos van Kesteren.

at gmail.com

---
---  You can not know
---  That you don't need to know
---  Unless you already know
---

Re: Installing on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Richard Philip
I installed on 12.04 LTS.
As you, it didn't work straight off the bat. I installed:

libgcj10
openjdk-6-jre
(I couldn't find the gij package on Synpatic).

To run the hardware simulator I needed to use the dash command:
(assuming you're in the directory where HardwareSimulator.sh is)

dash HardwareSimulator.sh

(I also made the file executable with chmod u+x HardwareSimulator.sh).

Now it works. Well, I haven't used it yet, but the programme appeared.