Keyboard input for Memory testing

ConfidenceKBM
It wants me to click the keyboard icon and press K, but there is no such icon. I've got the most recent software suite, so I'm not sure what's going on. Here's a picture of my hardware simulator. I guess I'll try to update java...

Re: Keyboard input for Memory testing

ConfidenceKBM
I'll add that the keyboard icon, and the "screen" view in general, worked as they should in the CPU emulator back in Project 4, but the hardware simulator doesn't seem to be doing the "screen" view correctly.

Edit: I reinstalled the latest version of Java, and that did not solve it.

Re: Keyboard input for Memory testing

ConfidenceKBM
Ahhhhh, silly me. Found the same question already posted. If anyone else sees this, use the builtin SCREEN and KEYBOARD instead of two RAM4K and a Register.

P.S comparison ended successfully :)

Re: Keyboard input for Memory testing

ashleyjsands
Thanks ConfidenceKBM. I had the exact same problem and I was very confused.

Re: Keyboard input for Memory testing

Daniel
I had the same problem because I had built my own screen chip (and used the register chip for the keyboard). So your explanation was very helpful. Still, I would have liked to be able to test my own chips!

Re: Keyboard input for Memory testing

If you use your own chips, then you also have to implement the OTHER side of the interface. Remember, these are memory-mapped input-output devices, so not only does the CPU have to be able to read and/or write to this memory, but so does the hardware that takes the contents of the memory and makes pixels appear light/dark on the screen or that take values from the keyboard and makes the appropriate codes appear in the register.

Those are peripheral functions that, like a file system, are way beyond the scope of this already-jam-packed course. But they are very viable post-course projects.

Re: Keyboard input for Memory testing

Daniel
Ok. Understood. Thanks!