Todun
This post was updated on .
I load up my Hardware Simulator from the command-line, "sh HardwareSimulator.sh"(is there a simpler way of doing this without the command-line?) then I load my chip while the simulator is running. If there is an error message, I get a message in red at the bottom of the simulator window. This message is always incomplete. Stretching the screen and double-clicking the message does not show the full message. Help, please?@
Thanks!

Re: Loding simulator & Error messages in simulator

ybakos
I think you'll find that most of us on the forum feel the most simple way to do anything is from the command line.

Regarding your simulator issue, please post the file you're loading and the text error message that is visible.

Re: Loding simulator & Error messages in simulator

Todun
This post was updated on .
This is the error message that I'm getting:

           In HDL file pathName/Mux4Way16.hdl, line 115, a(1) and s2(16) ha...

I've already sent you the file for Mux4Way16.

Thanks,
Todun.

Re: Loding simulator & Error messages in simulator

Todun
I just discovered a fix to this problem of mine. All I had to do was shorten path-names and file-names to bring the error message into the scope of the message bar.
Thanks again!

Todun.

Re: Loding simulator & Error messages in simulator

wsaleem
I am reviving this thread because I have the same problem and I cannot apply the fix of shortening the path name. Any way to see the full error message, say by scrolling?

Re: Loding simulator & Error messages in simulator

ybakos
Hover the mouse over the red error message, and I believe a tooltip will appear with the complete error message. Or, try to learn using the tools from the command line.

Re: Loding simulator & Error messages in simulator

wsaleem wrote
I am reviving this thread because I have the same problem and I cannot apply the fix of shortening the path name. Any way to see the full error message, say by scrolling?
On Windows, if you hover the mouse over the status line you will get a popup that shows the message in a smaller font that may let you see you enough. (I haven't tested this on Mac or Linux.)

The better solution is to run from the command line. See Updated batch and script files to get the latest command line batch/script files and get them set up to run from any directory. This will work on Windows, Mac and Linux.

When you run the Hardware Simulator with a .tst file from the command line, you will get the entire error message:

C:\Documents and Settings\MarkA\My Documents\nand2tetris\projects\01>HardwareSim
ulator And.tst
In HDL file C:\Documents and Settings\MarkA\My Documents\nand2tetris\projects\01
\And.hdl, Line 21, fubar has no source pin: load And.hdl

wsaleem
Thank you, Mark and ybakos. Indeed, the hover popup appears. And it is good to learn of the command line interface (CLI). When testing correctly implemented higher level chips (CPU, Memory), the CLI takes a long time to complete with no intermediate feedback. The GUI is more interactive in such cases.

Re: Loding simulator & Error messages in simulator

wsaleem wrote
When testing correctly implemented higher level chips (CPU, Memory), the CLI takes a long time to complete with no intermediate feedback. The GUI is more interactive in such cases.
The CPU test is nice and quick for me, but the Memory test appears to hang because it is waiting for user key presses which it cannot get since it is running without UI. Memory.tst needs to be run interactively.

Also, ComputerRect.tst requires you to see that a rectangle was drawn on the screen.

Re: Loding simulator & Error messages in simulator

wsaleem
You are right. I forgot about the keyboard input in Memory.tst and had to CTRL-c the run. CPU.tst is nice and quick for me, too. Thanks once again.