Maybe it's time to consider moving content and community to better forum software

Maybe it's time to consider moving content and community to better forum software

ouverson
This post was updated on .
These days it is quite easy (and free) to an SSL certificate.

I see from the Nabble forum that they have no plans to add SSL. I visited the Nabble forum at https://support.nabble.com and searched "HTTPS" and see that the community is not happy about this.

Maybe it's time to consider moving content and community to better software?

Many forums that I'm part of (such as https://forum.pythonistacafe.com/) use https://www.discourse.org/.

I'm not sure how difficult the migration would be, but if I can help I will.

Or, maybe a better option would be to start fresh and then reference back to the old when necessary.

Re: Maybe it's time to consider moving content and community to better forum software

Lozminda
I guess it's effort required (to do the move) vs actual use ?

Re: Maybe it's time to consider moving content and community to better forum software

While I'm certainly no fan of Nabble, a big factor is inertia. The current forum is set up and working, such as it is, and I can find the time to keep things going as they are. Although I'm interested in better options, I have zero time to even explore them, let alone figure out what would be involved in doing a port.

Re: Maybe it's time to consider moving content and community to better forum software

ouverson
I reached out to the Discourse community to find out what would be involved in migration.

I'll keep the community posted.

Kind regards,

Re: Maybe it's time to consider moving content and community to better forum software

ouverson
I did do some additional investigation:

I'm not sure if N2T would qualify, but there is Free Hosting for Open Source v2

And it looks like the migration might be easier than anticipated (might, I say.)

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/tree/main/script/import_scripts

http://n8.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=54

But, as you said, "The current forum is set up and working, such as it is, and I can find the time to keep things going as they are.".

Cheers!

Re: Maybe it's time to consider moving content and community to better forum software

Lozminda
Hi

What's the last link (Nabble something), I can't get it to work...

Not knowing anything about Ruby, that's a "Forum porter" or something?

I don't want to shoot anyones ideas down in smoke, but it's not like this forum gets loads of use, maybe a question a week at the most (better than the gmp mail list, which is one a month, (hence the mail list)).

I agree it's a bit janky,  but better than nothing.

Also, just because it looks easy to do doesn't mean it is easy to do (but I fully accept that that might be me, I had something that should have been minor, but it turned into something that ate a day, mind you it was SublimeText so maybe no surprise). There's always time eating clitches.

Having said all that, would it be possible to do a dry run, and have the two site running simultaneously, just as a check? or am I trying to breathe life into an idea that shouldn't be...

Does anyone have any idea about the website change of address, bet folks aren't getting here coz of that ? (sorry change of subject)

Re: Maybe it's time to consider moving content and community to better forum software

ouverson
I got the link from a reply to a post I created regarding migration: https://meta.discourse.org/t/migrating-from-nabble-to-discourse/201031 Not sure what happened that caused the link to break?

I suppose until a person or a group is interested in taking the TECS/N2T up a notch or 2 it doesn't make sense to invest the resources.