Modifying Supplied Software for Batch Operation?

Modifying Supplied Software for Batch Operation?

Warren Toomey
I haven't looked yet, but how hard would it be to modify some of the supplied software tools so that they have no GUI but work in batch or scriptable mode? My use case is that, when I receive the answers to a project from my students, I want to be able to write a shell/Perl script to unpack their Zip files, extract their HDL files, move them into a directory with the original  .tst and .cmp files, run the hardware simulator, and verify that their answers work, e.g. with the exit value from the simulator.

Would this be hard to do, and could the authors give perhaps a pointer on where to start the work? I'll be very happy to donate the changes back.

Re: Modifying Supplied Software for Batch Operation?

ybakos
Are you aware that you can pass command-line arguments to the HarwareSimulator script? For example:

./tools/HardwareSimulator.sh ../src/And.tst

Which will run the test script and output the usual "Comparison ended successfully" or error message to stdout.

Re: Modifying Supplied Software for Batch Operation?

Warren Toomey
Thanks Yong, I didn't know that! That should solve my problems :)