Opening HardwareSimulator in Linux

drjoe
Hello World,

I'm diving into "The Elements of Computer Systems" because I'm tired of stumbling around whenever I need a little  understanding of command lines, as I often find myself stuck at the "0"th step.

Ironically, that is exactly where I am stuck when trying to run any of the simulators that are part of the book.

I'm running an updated version of Linux. I've downloaded jdk8 and Nand2Tetris. I've read this forum and watched a bunch of bad youtube videos. I've double clicked .bat and .sh files, and tried command lines. All to no avail.

I don't think I'm stupid, but I after a three hours of this, I feel stupid. Can I please ask for some really basic direction getting Nand2Tetris Simulators up and running?

Re: Opening HardwareSimulator in Linux

drjoe
Simulators can't find JRE?

Re: Opening HardwareSimulator in Linux

drjoe
It's been a long day, but do I really need to go down some bash/path/export rabbit hole before I can use your tools?

Re: Opening HardwareSimulator in Linux

The scripts should find the java executable if it's there. Just open a terminal and type "java -version" and see if this works.

The most common problem (I think), is that you have installed the so called "headless" JRE. This JRE doesn't have the UI components and is meant be run on servers. For some reason, I think it is installed by default on some Linux flavors. If that's the case, you just need to replace it with the normal JRE.

If it still doesn't work, just run the .sh file from the terminal and see what it says. You can paste the output here, so we can try to better help you.

Re: Opening HardwareSimulator in Linux

drjoe
Thank you Ivan,

You are a saint. New JRE download, plus giving .sh file permission to run as a program put me in clover. It worked so well that i gave same permission to all nand2tetris icons marked with a shebang.

Now on to "The Elements of Computing Systems" and perhaps even some understanding.

With kindest regards,

Joe Lewis

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 11:59 PM, ivant [via Nand2Tetris Questions and Answers Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
The scripts should find the java executable if it's there. Just open a terminal and type "java -version" and see if this works.

The most common problem (I think), is that you have installed the so called "headless" JRE. This JRE doesn't have the UI components and is meant be run on servers. For some reason, I think it is installed by default on some Linux flavors. If that's the case, you just need to replace it with the normal JRE.

If it still doesn't work, just run the .sh file from the terminal and see what it says. You can paste the output here, so we can try to better help you.

To unsubscribe from Opening HardwareSimulator in Linux, click here.
NAML