Problems with using WordPad to edit HDL files

Problems with using WordPad to edit HDL files

Hugo
I loaded an HDL file into the Hardware Simulator and had an error. I corrected the HDL code in WordPad but when I tried to save it I got a message saying the file is in use by another process and had to close the Hardware Simulator before I could save the HDL file in WordPad. This is really annoying. Is there any way around this?

Re: Problems with using WordPad to edit HDL files

Shimon Schocken
Administrator
For some reason, WordPad apparently tries to lock an edited file in a stricter way than most other editors. Switching to another editor (NotePad, WinEdit, Matlab's editor, ...) should solve the problem.

Re: Problems with using WordPad to edit HDL files

David
FYI, I have this problem on Windows XP when I work off of a Novell network drive (using Notepad++ or Scite).  If I move everything to the local machine, the problem goes away.

Re: Problems with using WordPad to edit HDL files

Gordon
I'm having the same problem using UltraEdit-32 on Windows 2000.

At first I thought I had to close the hdl file in the simulator but I later discovered that all I need to do is click the rewind/reset button. I guess the simulator isn't properly closing the file until the reset.