Question on testing Keyboard in implementation of Memory

Question on testing Keyboard in implementation of Memory

Ashley
Hi,

I am running the test of the Memory. When it comes to test the Keyboard, the Hardware Simulator asked me to click the Keyboard icon and hold down the 'K' Key (upper case) for a while.

So, I clicked the Keyboard icon and released (tried holding down as well), and then immediately hold down Shift and 'K' key.

I kept holding it for a long while and I don't think my computer is that slow.

How do I trigger the Hardware Simulator to resume the test and check my Keyboard value?

Thanks,
Dongcheng

Re: Question on testing Keyboard in implementation of Memory

ybakos
It should "just work." Are you sure your Memory chip is correct?

Re: Question on testing Keyboard in implementation of Memory

Ashley wrote
I am running the test of the Memory. When it comes to test the Keyboard, the Hardware Simulator asked me to click the Keyboard icon and hold down the 'K' Key (upper case) for a while.

So, I clicked the Keyboard icon and released (tried holding down as well), and then immediately hold down Shift and 'K' key.

I kept holding it for a long while and I don't think my computer is that slow.

How do I trigger the Hardware Simulator to resume the test and check my Keyboard value?
This is most likey a problem with address decoding in your Memory.hdl. At this point the test script is executing
set address 24576,
echo "Click the Keyboard icon and hold down the 'K' key (uppercase) until you see the next message (it should appear shortly after that) ...",

while out <> 75 {
    eval,
}
Memory's address is set to the keyboard's address and the script is waiting to see 75 (numeric value of 'K') on Memory's out.

When you press 'K' you should see the values of your internal signals change so you can determine why Keyboard's out is not getting transfered to Memory's out.

Re: Question on testing Keyboard in implementation of Memory

Ashley
Hi Mark,

Yes, you are right. I made a mistake in my address decoding. I fixed it.

Thanks!
Dongchen