Trying to get memory chip to work. Strange error

Trying to get memory chip to work. Strange error

runge_kutta
Hey!

So I am trying to get the memory chip to work, but when loading my implementation into the hardware simulator, I get an error telling me that "address[14] and address[15] have different bus widths". Probably a bit cryptic without any source code, but has anyone addressed (lol) this problem in the past? In this context, the address refers to the 15 bit wide address input specified for the memory chip.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Re: Trying to get memory chip to work. Strange error

If you want to, you can email me your code to [my forum ID]@pobox.com and I'll take a look at it for you. Or, better, become a registered forum user and you can send it to me via private message.

Another advantage of registering is that you can be alerted by email when people reply to your posts.

Re: Trying to get memory chip to work. Strange error

Now that I'm awake, I've a guess about what's happening.

There are two different "address" buses involved, the 15 bit wide address bus for Memory and the 14 bit wid "address" bus for Screen.

Perhaps you have
    Screen(address=address, ...
in your HDL.  This does cause the error message you are getting.

Read Appendix A section A.5.3 to learn how to select only 14 bits of the Memory's address to connect to the Screen's address.

Re: Trying to get memory chip to work. Strange error

runge_kutta
Hey thanks. Going to have a look now. Actually I am registered as runge_kutta. Was just in a hurry and forgot pw.